Saturday, December 27, 2014

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 15

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 15
Writing Prompt: Something you always think “What if…” about

What if I won the lottery? What would I do with that kind of money? 

Everyday when Claire and I went to work at Access of West Michigan, we passed the billboard which showed the current amount of the Michigan mega millions lottery. Everyday the number would rise and everyday when we passed it, we would think, ‘What if I won the lottery?’ and the question continued into the office about once every two weeks. We would go around the room and say what we would do, Andy was the conservative one. He would buy a one bedroom house and set aside a very modest amount that he would live off of every month and just do what he wanted to do in terms of a job (he never did tell us). Carolyn said she’d put it towards her wedding and her married life (that’s practical use of it). Some of the other workers said they would invest it, donate it, or give it to family. 

So what would I do with that kind of money? As of today, December 27, the mega millions pot is $172,000,000, but when we had seen it was well over $240,000,000. That’s a life changing amount of money. That’s all your dreams come true, all your debts paid, all your junk food addictions given life too, that’s a lot. of. money. 

What if I won $200,000,000? 

I would start by giving amounts to my family who needed it most; help them pay of debts, school loans, bills, mortgages. My family helped me to get where I am today, they deserve part of the money, too! 

I would then pick an agency, organization, non-profit, foundation, etc. that I truly feel inspired by and donate a good amount of money to them. To help them to continue the great work with financial help, as all (the ones I know of) non-profits need. 

I would put the majority of it into a savings account, probably a CD, so I wouldn’t be tempted to use it all up at one time, and earn a little more somethin’ somethin’ on it. 

I would then take a year of travels to the most epic places in my mind. Enjoy and explore the world that God wants us to see. To see the sights, experience the food and culture, and learn how others live around the world. 

What I have left, I’d put into savings to help in the future for my family and any financial burdens we may have, or share the experiences I had already taken with my husband and kids, exploring the world and learning together. 

I think it’s a good ‘what if’. The thoughts of the ‘what if’ question vanished when someone actually won the lottery and the number on that billboard reset and was only $1,000,000 (which is still a lot of money)! 


What would you do if you won the lottery? I would love to hear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment