Sunday, November 23, 2014

Scars

Colton Dixon is one of the few truly Christian singers that comes out of the TV phenomenon, “American Idol.” He sings some of the typical Christian songs, but then has other songs which relate to a lot of things that people go through. His songs relate a lot to what I go through in my life, my faith journey and my struggles. I think, personally, the most important song he sings is “Scars,” a song that reminds us who were are. According to Colton, it’s “a map of where we’ve been in life; you can look at a scar and it immediately takes you back to what happened to create that. And at the end of the song, it ties in with my faith, and it says, God, Your scars remind us who we are.” 

I have many physical scars on my body. On my right hand, I have a scar that was from taking cookies out of the Panera walk-in oven, the oven mitt didn't cover my whole hand, so when I reached to grab the tray, my hand brushed up against the rack, causing me a load of pain and a gnarly burn. 

I have a gash on the bottom of my right foot from the Reed’s Lake Triathlon that I did my sophomore year of college. We started in the water for the swim and when they said, ‘Go’ I pushed off a rock and felt slight pain. When I got in my tennis shoe for the bike, I noticed blood and I realized how much blood there really was when I started my run. Every step I took it was me stepping into a puddle of blood in my own shoe. I was okay. 

I have on the left side of my head, underneath my birthmark, a chicken pox scar, reminding me how truly awful my chicken pox were. I sucked my thumb when I was little, so I would scratch the itch and then suck my thumb, causing lovely chicken pox in my throat. 

I could continue to go on about all my scars on my body, we might be here all night if that were the case. I want to talk about Colton’s lyrics for ‘Scars’ and why I believe it the most important song that he sings. In my life, I have had struggles and challenges which I didn’t think I could get over. But by listening to this song and by fighting for my faith against the Devil who was trying to take it away, I was able to learn, grow and defeat the struggles and scars that I faced in my life. I was defiantly defeated, broken and bruised, three of the four words that Colton opens his song up with. I cried and I was confused about where I stood in my life and where my faith was through these struggles. Like the song, my struggles cut through my religion and my beliefs, I truly was at rock bottom. 

Now, before I go on, I haven’t discussed these scars with many people at all. I thought that I could handle the scars in my life…I was wrong. But that’s the great thing about Calvin College, a Christian college in name and atmosphere. I had friends who helped me, I had the counseling center, which provided a safe and unbiased place for me to share my struggles and my emotions. I wish for anyone who has weight bearing, rock bottom scars, struggles, and challenges, that you seek help. I would never want another young woman (or man), to be where I was two years ago. To feel the way I felt and feel hopeless about many things in life. Whether be talking to family or friend, pastor or preacher, counselor or psychologist, open your troubles up and DO NOT keep them bottled up…it’s not healthy. Speaking from experience here! 

Back to ‘Scars.’ I believe the most important verses of this song, to me are: 
Today’s another day
To learn from my mistakes
Knowing that we’re not forsaken 
They give life to where we’ve been
When we fall and start again
Scars remind us who we are 

I’m aching, I’m breaking
Lord, I’m suffocating, oh
Lord, wake me and save me
Use the abused me
Take me and fill me up

I hold this song very close to me. Every time I hear it, I remember where I was two years ago and how far I have come since that time of my life. I remember that I was defeated, broken and bruised. I was sinking lower and lower, digging my hole of rock bottom even more, wondering if I would ever recover. I remember that Jesus bears scars on His body, showing that he will always forgive our scars, our struggles and challenges in life. Scars are an important part of growing up and living as a Christian. Believing that Jesus’ scars have forgiven your scars is breathtaking and awe-inspiring. Today is another day, learn from the past and the past mistakes you have lived and create a better you. It’s okay, you’re not alone, take your struggles one day at a time and keep your faith strong no matter what, because God will pull you out of your pain. 

Colton Dixon’s “Scars” 


No comments:

Post a Comment